"My reasons for installing the PV system are, in order of importance:
- To reduce the carbon that we put into the atmosphere, (I also drive an electric car, a 2015 Nissan LEAF, for that main reason.)
- To reduce the monthly cost of electricity, especially if I should expire before my wife.
- To provide clean energy for my electric car.
- To reduce our support of the fossil-fuel industry.
- To encourage our neighbors and friends to install PV systems.
The house was built in 1983, so the windows are double glass. Before installing the PV system an energy audit was done to discover changes that needed to be made and fix them. High-efficiency heat pumps were installed, the attic and crawl space were insulated and mostly LED lights were installed. Installing a PV system was the logical next step. The neighborhood organization of Hethwood quickly approved installing the system and the two additions to it. The next step will be to install a lithium-ion battery in the garage to supply electricity for kitchen appliances and a heater in the case of power outages. Because of my very positive past experience with Baseline Solar Solutions, I chose them to install our PV system. They are true experts at installing PV and thermal solar systems."